Friday, November 23, 2007

Damian and I have come to an agreement. He won’t crow directly under my kitchen window and I won’t hurl obscenities at him and his family. But this little understanding has backfired on me and I’ve slept in til 6:45. Darn it all Damian --- I really do need you after all. I quickly wash up and throw on the first clean clothes I can find and head down to the Vaka lounge for beak-y. Oh good, it’s the cheese omelet again. My favourite with toast, fruit and herbal tea.
Teresa, Linda and I make it to Takitumu School just in time for the Friday morning assembly. I’m not sure if this is a regular Friday morning occurrence or if it’s put on strictly for our enjoyment. The entire student body gathers in the largest classroom for a dance performance by grades 5 and 6. First the girls then the boys and then a surprise. The teacher announces that for the final dance, each of the performers will chose a partner to dance with. Oh, oh, I can see what’s coming. The teachers sitting on either side of me are snickering and I know something is up. The charming boys choose the 3 of us and we must dance in front of everyone, front and centre of course. The drum music begins and we do our best to shake our hips, but not our shoulders in rhythm. These old hips don’t move like they used to. The kids clap and cheer and laugh at our efforts and have great fun at our expense. But we love it and it’s an experience I’ll treasure forever with the wonderful students of Takitumu School. I feel as tough they’ve taught me far more than I’ve taught them. When I leave this little corner of the world I’ll try to be more like them. To listen intently when someone is talking to me, to share openly and willingly, to try hard without fear of embarrassment or failure, to smile more and to play hand games whenever the urge strikes.
With Ana’s blessing and my promise to stay late next week to paint benches, I leave school early to catch some of the Vaka Eiva events. I beat it into town just in time to see the masters women finish their round the island race and the mens start. It’s an exciting time with the drums rolling, the crowds gathered around the harbour and the various teams there to support their fellow paddlers. I wave to Denise and Teresa who are out there on one of the Sponsors boats. I’m sure they saw me and I truly hope their anti nausea medication works as the sea is extremely choppy today. I wander through town again and something bright and cheery and colourful down a little alleyway catches my eye. A lovely little painting that I just must have. After a little negotiation it’s mine and I couldn’t be happier. I pick up a few necessities at Foodland and go off in search of my bike. Where on earth did I leave it? I finally find it down by the Vaka carving area. Now, where is the key to the lock? After emptying my backpack and just before panic sets in, I find it in a zippered pocket where I had tucked it away to be safe. On my way home I stop to pick up my laundry. With my painting, my groceries, my laundry, my computer, my backpack and 2 water bottles, I struggle against the headwind and need to stop again at Mac’s Café where I see Connie. Flat White please!!!! I’m addicted to flat whites and will definitely go through withdrawal when I get back home. Off again with everything well balanced, I straggle in the driveway in first gear and exhausted. Now, where’s my room key? I sit on the balcony for 15 minutes staring at my back pack and finally remember --- it’s in the box in the lobby. Thank goodness!!!
After a short recuperation Susan and I catch the bus to Muri Beach for some swimming and/or snorkeling. We walk the beach a bit and Susan wades out to one of the Motus while I hit the Internet to keep family and friends posted. Susan finds me at the bar and then goes off to explore another of the little islands but is forced back by a school of triggerfish. Bitten, bruised and bleeding we decide the best course of treatment is more refreshments and it seems to work.
It suddenly dawned on us that it’s not the 4:00 bus we need to catch --- we should have been on the 3:00 bus to get all the way back around to KiiKii. We’ll have to walk from town. We eventually met the bus and caught Robin about to get off and convince her to stay on or she’ll have to wait til after 6:00 for another ride and would miss dinner. From the Rarotongan Resort to Avarua we’re the only ones on the bus. We moan and whine and sweet-talk the driver into taking us all the way home. He’s a gem and we thank him profusely. He could have been off work early but chose to help us out instead. Now that’s Cook Island hospitality that we sure wouldn’t get at home.
6:00 Tai picks us all up in her trusty van to go to the Windjammer Restaurant for a farewell to Robin and Linda who are leaving us tomorrow. Robin back to the real world in D.C. and Linda will enjoy another week in New Zealand before heading back to Toronto. Our dinner is delicious and we entertain each other with tales of the past week and napkin folding demonstrations. Good food, good wine, good friends, as they say. I decide to hit the town for the last night of the Vaka Eiva celebrations and Tai drops me at Trader Jacks. The place is hopping and jam-packed with people. I fight my way through the crowd looking for Teresa and Denise but don’t see them. I push my way around to the stairs for a bird’s eye view. It’s a mad house. So I find the bus stop. A nice young man stumbles out of a nearby bar and offers to bring me home on his motorbike. I thank him very much for the generous offer but I’ll just wait for the next bus. By 10:30 I’m in bed. Wowza – that was some night on the town!!!!
Saturday and Sunday everyone goes in different directions. Connie and Judy to Aitutaki, Robin and Linda to the airport, some to the market, Lilia is shopping, Susan and I unsuccessfully try snorkeling again as the weather and the bus schedule work against us. Denise and Teresa have met many new friends and spend time with them. The Vaka parade and launch are colourful and special celebrations.
One of our team goals is to have fun and we’re doing just that.
Elaine

Thought for the Day:
Carpe Diem……….Seize the Day!

0 comments: