Friday, November 16, 2007

I awake rested! That’s a good change. I must be getting used to the schedule. My roommate is still asleep and I’ve a half hour til the alarm goes off for our last workday this week. So I slip out onto the porch and go to the far eastern end, where I watch a gentle pastel beginning of the day.
A warm breeze tickles my pajamas and I feel I am a special, integral part of this lovely morning. At times I’ve wondered why did I really come on this trip; was it really all only about service, or did I want my friends and family at home to see me as a peppy, adventurous older woman – maybe a kind of Grandma of the World!
I guess it’s both……getting older sometimes is not fun. You really do wonder if you’re getting more forgetful. And, you know you can’t hike as far or as fast and that sometimes is sad. But being with a lively group of caring people such as we have here is a million dollar makeover!
There were items I forgot to pack, but it never seemed serious. Friends loaned me things or there was a box of painting clothes, or I simply made do. And I need to remember that once I go home.
Denise mentioned tonight that shopping trips to the mall will dim after experiencing the simplicity and self-reliance of the Islanders.
I first objected to working at the strict, religious school --- no art on the walls, no kids helping one another. Yet I see their scholastic level is high. They play joyously at recess and are kind to each other. I made a sort-of-suggestion to one teacher and really listened to her reply. I am not in control here as it is not my classroom. I am experiencing new patience. I am feeling that I do not have to do everything perfectly. I am spending time with women whom I didn’t even know 7 days ago. Together we plan to take our life in our hands – bravely facing “wrong-way” traffic on a long ride around the Island – a chance to be swallowed into the belly of a whale … or at least see some colourful fish when we get all suited up for snorkeling.
The last 2 days were overcast and just plain soggy. Some of our assignments have had struggles or been just plain boring and some have given us unexpected joy and insights or confirmations about our skills and sensitivities that we didn’t realize in our fast-paced lives at home.
It was really hot and humid today! Even a swim seemed an effort, yet we rallied when Taiana pulled up in the G.V. van to take us out for a special evening to the “Blessing of the Boats” ceremony by Trader Jacks. It’s just like the opening of the Olympics. One of my teammates said “Yes, I agree” and the price for the tickets was a great bargain.
The challenges of the week seemed to pass in the breeze as the air cooled and we gathered for photos on the deck of the Coral Club restaurant. Everyone cleaned up – some even with earrings and colourful new island dresses. Happy smiles, hugs and giggles -- and that was before the wine! A sumptuous buffet. We’re grateful but being in Tai's home with her family was really the highlight of meals.
Happy Birthday Judy, with only one candle on your 67-pound cake. Oh, oops, did I give it away? All is known except for Lilia’s age and the way she danced the cha-cha it’s anybody’s guess how young she really is!
Thank you so much, each of you special ladies for becoming part of a life I now find enriched by your spirits, your energy and your caring.

Connie

0 comments: