Tuesday, November 20, 2007

There is a rhythm to our days now, a sense of familiarity and pattern. Lilia wakes up first. I lay in bed and listen for the weather report ---- a gentle sea means a fair day, pounding swells mean wind. But sadly I hear rain – again!
Mary’s delicious French toast and a few cranky mews from Stripes the motel kitty greet me as I join the Vaka for breakfast. We all have our assignments well in hand. The rain has scuppered the Conservation Area. Memo to self-..thank God for rain. I really was dreading that assignment.
With practiced movements we pack our lunches; knowing instinctively after 10 days of life together who needs the peanut butter, who likes cheese.
For the first time since my marriage suddenly ended 7 years ago, I am living with another human being. It took some adjustment for Lilia to room with me and I with her, but we have much in common we have found and we like to chat at night before the lights go out.
As I peddle off to Takitumu School in a light drizzle I take such pleasure in the morning and I know the route so well now. Roosters crow as I pass and I think of Elaine and smile. Although we are a team and our goals are common ones, each takes a special pride in her role as an individual, which strikes me as a good thing.
Lilia beams as she tells me how the kids at St. Joseph’s have learned the Filipino glass dance she taught them for their Christmas pageant. Bright spark Robin has us in stitches at the description of how condom use is taught by the action and education team. But her main wish has been with the Red Cross and I’m sure she’s been a blessing to Nikki for her skills and wisdom.
Judy, our Picasso, between teaching swimming and badminton, has painted and painted and then painted some more. Her work has literally transformed Te Uki Ou School.
The boundless enthusiasm of Teresa and Denise brings joy to our lives here. I know exactly what Denise is going through and I am proud of her for deciding to help ease her pain by helping others. Denise has made great progress as the “Holy Megabyte” expert at St. Joseph’s. Teresa’s patience and encouragement has helped kids reading improve at Takitumu. Volunteers talk about “my kids” with a sense of great pride, and rightly so.
With her wry sense of humour and dry observances, Elaine never fails to make me smile. She communicates so well with her students in the reading room at Takitumu and she taught me a special lesson about patience and its payoff – a perfect sunset photo.
Susan is close to her goal of restructuring a library at Takitumu and in just 10 days has gone from a palette of books to a clever catalog system that will ensure a well-run library for years. Such an accomplishment.
And what of Constance Gardner? Sweet Connie is my inspiration, all her charkas balanced, a hippie sensibility, an endless kindness, a gentle spirit and generosity all wrapped up in a Vassar t-shirt and hat perched at a jaunty angle on blonde curls. If I come home being more like Connie, I will be pleased indeed.
I thought of this as we posed for our Vaka 95 photo last night with Tai and Debbie – two magnificent women I am going to miss so much. I am filled with admiration for their spirit and calm wisdom.
What better way to celebrate our new friendships than with an Island Night and dinner at the Rarotongan Resort? Mama Here joined us and whispered her secret coconut cake recipe to me. I’ll make it over the holidays for a party and what a hit it will be !!!
Sad to think that 3 days and I must say goodbye to this fine group, but because I am being more of a Vaka girl than a Toronto crazy-busy, 24/7 girl, I see it as 3 days to enjoy, to learn and to explore.
As I finished this page this morning, I heard Judy call out from the pool below where she was doing laps “Look, a rainbow”. We all ran out to see it arcing over the palm trees. A fitting beginning to a lovely day and a reminder that it is filled with promise.
Linda

Thought for the Day:
Formula for Happiness.
There is no need for temple or church or mosque or synagogue. No need for complicated philosophy, doctrine or dogma. Our own heart, our own mind is the temple. Love for others, respect for their rights and dignity no matter who or what they are. Ultimately these are all we need.

0 comments: