Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Patience is a virtue

As my time on the Cook Islands comes to an end, I have difficulty believing that two weeks have already passed. In such little time I have grown to love many children, and made lifelong friends. Each morning at 6:20, I roll out of bed, still in my sleepy slumber. Normally, I would never wake up this early, but knowing that I get to spend my day with the cutest kids on the Cook Islands, 6:20 doesn’t sound that bad. Every day when my mom and I walk in to Tieaa’s classroom, we are greeted with a warm “Auntie Suzie” and “Deban” or the occasional “Kevin.” For the past four days, my mom and I have been working on four 20-foot-long posters. Needless to say, we put a lot of work into those transport posters and when Tieaa’s idea clashed with ours, we just had to let it be, and remember that we, in fact, are guests. More often than not, I have to remind myself “Patience is a virtue.”

In the past two weeks, I learned many life lessons and came to the realization that teachers do not get the credit that they deserve, especially those who teach young children. I come home from school each day, exhausted and of course hungry. I don’t think I could ever be a teacher, but seeing those 22 cute six-year-old faces makes everything a little easier.

As I previously stated, my quote was “Patience is a virtue.” These six-year-olds know exactly how to test me and push my buttons. However, when I try to sternly talk to them, I crack. How can I possibly be mad at a little kid who only wants attention? It is easier to make the choice to be happy.

As my time at Te Uki Ou comes to a close, I am incredibly sad and don’t want to go home, but I remind myself in the good-ol’ words of Doctor Seuss, “Don’t cry because it is over, smile because it happened.” I will be smiling the whole way from the Cook Islands to New Zealand, and from New Zealand back to my home, Seattle.


Entry submitted by: Devon

0 comments: