Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Impressed by dance practice

Six in the morning is generally a time I greet with the same amount of enthusiasm that I would sleeping on a bed of nails or bathing in a vat of lava, but when presented with a delicious breakfast of French toast and wonderful company a mere 50 minutes later, all that disdain vanishes. Everyone had a bright smile this morning, and seemed excited and ready to get started with what we all came here to do; make a positive impact on others.  After my day at the Titikaveka College, and after hearing the other team members recap their days, it is safe to say we are all off to a good start. Haley and I were met with warm smiles and very friendly staff and students at our school, and we got a chance to work with some very sweet kids and young adults who were very open to help and seemed to really want to learn and improve themselves, which was nice.  We were fed a delicious and unexpected meal of potato salad and chicken before we left for the day.

After the rest of our group members returned from their schools, we headed to the library and museum. The local artwork and history that was documented in the plastic cases of the museum was so interesting and I feel like I learned a lot just in the few minutes we were there. I noticed everyone else was as intrigued as I, so I’m sure the experience was a unanimously positive one. 

After the brief visit to the museum, we got to sit in on dance practice. I was so very impressed by the calf muscles on all the dancers, as well as their groovy moves. To say I was in awe would be an understatement. I think we all really enjoyed watching the children dance. I would recommend sitting in on dance practice to anyone, but particularly to anyone who needed their day brightened, because it was possibly one of the cutest things I could ever imagine.

After dance practice, we had the most delicious meal of curry, rice, various fruits, chocolate mousse, salad, and coleslaw. Post-meal conversation was full of laughter, and one of my favorite parts of the day. Getting to hear stories from “Papa Bob” and the other team members was completely awesome. Overall, I’d say our first day was a success and a wonderful start to a great adventure!
                                                                                   
Entry submitted by: Kendra


Message of the Day: “Patience is a virtue.”

0 comments: